Saturday, November 3, 2007

Final night in Santiago

So after a weekend of partying late with new friends, and having to wake up before dawn, again, in order to catch our plane, and pooped as we were, we headed to bed fairly early - around 11:00. (It was early for that weekend.)

As I was drifting off to sleep, I heard faint talking outside our door. I was beginning to think that our new friends had come back for one last party when our hotel room door opens and in walks a mother and two small boys. Obviously there is a problem.

Fighting to become coherent as quickly as I could, I said "Estamos llenos", which means , we're full" as in we've had too much to eat or we can't fit anyone or anything else. Realizing that didn't make sense, I quickly came up with "Estamos aquí" which means, "we're here". Not much better.

It was during this exchange that Allen starts moaning from her bed, "No, no, no, just no!" and Jami sat up on one elbow, to better view the show.

By this time, the mom had figured out that there was a problem and she was trying to get her children out of our room, but one of the little boys was mesmerized and just stood there in the room, not moving.

As politely and calmly as I could, because I didn't want to scare him, I said, still from my bed, "Cierra la puerta. Cierra la puerta por favor." (Close the door. Close the door please.)

By then Allen was firmly awake and she got out of bed to clarify with the mom that the room was indeed occupied. The woman wanted to know how many of us were in the room, because she was supposed to have a triple. Allen assured her that we were indeed three. She left with her two little ones and we all laid back down...and began laughing hysterically.

What we found funny - Allen thought the people were speaking Japanese at first - she was pretty asleep. Also, none of us jumped out of bed upon someone walking into our room. In fact, we were doing everything we could to not have to get out of bed during the entire encounter - and I succeeded,as did Jami. (Sorry Allen.) We laughed because Allen said the little boys had balloons and were having trouble getting out the doorway with their balloons. She called them the "little Japanese balloon boys" even though they weren't Japanese. And finally, we laughed because we thought by this time, it was the middle of the night, but Jami informed us that we had only been out for 29 minutes.

We found all of this so funny that we laughed for a good 30-45 minutes more- until the people next door banged on the wall. Ooops.

And then, just when we had dozed off again to peaceful rest, the phone rang. Allen answered. I was the front desk. She got a "Mil disculpas because someone walked in your room" apology. Thanks. "How many of you are in there?" "Still three" "Gracías. Good night."


And good night to you, Santiago. It was fun. Lots of sweet fellowship. Lots of laughs. We'll have to do it again sometime.
Buenas noches, and chao.

5 comments:

Holly said...

And when it was done, you all said...HalleluYAH! And thank the LORD for good wine :)

Missing you friend...you look lovely!

Texana said...

You survived, you had a good time, you have your war stories, and best of all, you get to cross "see the sunset in Buenos Aires" off your "to do before I die" list. Glad you are home safely.

Love, Mom F

The Bradfords said...

Oh my. I am crying because I am laughing so hard all over again! Why in the world were we not scared? I am going to say it is because we have so much faith...not because we are so used to this culture ;-}

Anonymous said...

You crack me UP! Glad you're home safe and sound. Sounds like a crazy time.

Brian Franklin said...

That's hilarious. It's like pulling the covers over yourself and freezing all night rather than taking a 10-second trip to the thermostat. Yes, I know that you no longer have a thermostat, but the illustration still translates!