Thursday, December 1, 2011

Been a long book reviews - the last

 The Moviegoer by Walker Percy - I have been hearing forever how great this book is, so I finally found time to read it.  While I loved Mr. Percy's writing style...sort of...I found it a bit too existential, stream of consciousness, book about nothing.  There, how was that for an evaluation?  It reminded me a bit of Virginia Woolfe's Mrs. Dalloway where much of the action is happening on the thoughts of the main character - his attempt to find himself.  It was a bit slow for where I was at the time of reading, maybe because I really don't have time for that sort of thing right now.  But I did enjoy the cadence of Percy's writing - if that even makes sense.  I will read more from Mr. Percy for sure. 7
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene - John Ferguson says this book is about God.  And it is.  London during the Blitzkrieg,  a woman involved in an adulterous affair prays for her lovers life after a bomb hits the building they are in.  His life is given him, and she breaks off the affair.  The novel is about his pursuit of her and why she left him and about her pursuit of God and His role in her life.  Beautifully written - full of depth - Greene writes about real faith in real life.  Love him for it.  9






The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I began to hear the nay-sayers, so I thought I better go ahead and read it so I knew what it was rather than listening to the "crowd".  Two of my boys had already read it, so I knew a little bit.  North America, post -world as we know it, looks a lot like the Roman Empire in the sense that there is a great city that runs the "world" and they have a sick idea of entertainment.  And by sick I mean that in a "not good" sort of way.  Basically, each year, every district has to offer up two of their children for sacrifice and the entire "world" gets to watch it happen live.  It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the just of it.  It was a good read - a couldn't put it down read - and a convicting read.  I found myself asking at the end, are we as a culture that far from this?    9

2 comments:

Pilgrim Days said...

I couldn't put the Hunger Games down either. It kind of reminded me of one of Lois Lowry books though the title escapes me right now. Anne Michal picked up book two for me at the library, but I have so much to do that I am afraid to start it for fear I'll do nothing but read until it is finished.

Nan said...

I'm going to have to read the Hunger Games soon. Written by a bay area local I guess, just over the hill from us.