Monday, November 1, 2010

October reads

Half-broke Horses by Jeanette Walls - A "true-life novel", this is Walls' sequel, so to speak of her memoir "The Glass Castle", which I have not yet read.  "The Glass Castle" tells the story of her mother, Rosemary, and the family's struggle with her mother's emotional and mental difficulties.  "Half-Broke Horses" takes as the main character Walls' grandmother, Lily, telling her story as she grew up in west Texas, New Mexico and eventually making it to Arizona.  She was quite a lady - doing things I would never even try.  But what I found most enjoyable was the description of the places in which she lived.  I was familiar with those place a little bit, so it was fun to see them in my head while I read about them among the pages.  7


The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - For in depth thoughts, see my post here. In general, I did not enjoy this book -it made me sick to my stomach and gave me nightmares.  That said...I would put it in the category of "worth-reading" for those that can stomach it.  (I know...I may be a bit over-dramatic, but some of my friends were more disturbed than even I.)  As I was saying, I am glad I read it because it did cause me to think more deeply about what the author was trying to say.  It was an interesting way to put forth his view - imaginative - and I was left thinking about this book for days after I had finished it.  For that I give him props.  But I will never read this book again.  6.5



The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Anybody that has ever lived in Jackson, MS needs to read this book.  And then so does everyone else.  Funny, lively, yet deep, I found myself resorting to a Mississippi accent and tossin' my head in attitude as I read the words of these feisty and incredible women.  The Help takes place in Jackson during the early 60's telling the stories of  a couple of black women working for white women as maids.  Reading it I was caught up in the personal lives of each woman as well as the intensity and struggle of the times and the torn-ness that some of these women felt as they longed for change and a better world, but hit so many obstacles in their own efforts to do anything about the culture of the time.  I loved reading this and I will read it again most certainly. 9


Hey Brian...I finally read it!
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - While I found the middle of this story to be quite the slog, I must say that the last third had me riveted - even knowing the general plot.  What a beautiful picture of the Gospel shown through the medium of fiction.  I love stories like this.  It was a bit of a chore to keep the characters straight, and I don't think that as a whole they are Dicken's most memorable characters, aside from Darnay and Carton,  but I did find that Dickens lived up to his reputation and I am glad I finally can add this novel to my list of works conquered.  I won't tell more because I think everyone should give this novel a go at one time or other in their life.  This one will also be read again, although probably not as soon as The Help. ;)  8.5

1 comment:

Brian Franklin said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I hope you didn't give it such a high score just to avoid hurting my feelings!

The only other character who I find very memorable is Madame DeFarge. Eek.