Monday, July 16, 2007

Wal-mart comes to Trujillo!


Ok - not really Wal-mart, but the Peruvian equivelent if you will. And as Allen Bradford would say, we are "fired up!" Plaza Vea is the first in a line of changes bringing in more outside commercialism to Trujillo. Aparently, the political party that had been in charge of Trujillo for over 30 years did not want any outside businesses coming in. Which is why Lima has Chili's, Starbucks, Pizza Hut and KFC, and several really nice malls with real department stores. Trujillo has Zona Franca - which is basically a zillion 10ft x 10ft cubicles crammed with as much foul-quality stuff you could cram in leaving only a space for the little guy to stand right at the door and yell at you as you get shoved by with the other 1000 people trying to find their metaphorical needle in a haystack. It proves for a lovely shopping experience.
But that party lost the last elections. And so bring it on - Plaza Vea, two malls, Pizza Hut, Cinemark - we have even heard rumors of a Starbucks. Justin is hoping for a Chili's. We will see.
The President of Peru came to town to give a speech on Plaza Vea's opening day. There were fireworks and a big show. The line to get in the store must have been half a mile long when I rode by in a taxi that day. Craziness.
So yes, we are excited about Plaza Vea. And since the rest of Trujillo is obviously just as excited, I haven't been yet. Just going to wait a bit until I don't have to stand in line for an hour and a half to go grocery shopping. I think that will be a better shopping experience.

1 comment:

Holly said...

We're needing some prayer for wisdom. I will call soon and fill in the details.
Enjoy your friend. Praying for you guys!
Love,
Holly